The heart and soul of St Vincent de Paul is the Local SVdP Conference. ‘Conference’ is the Vincentian name for our local membership groups. These are usually based as part of a local church parish community. Members from our conferences make the traditional ‘home visit’ to connect with people from the local community and where necessary they provide food, clothing, furniture, support and mentoring for those in temporary or permanent need. They also gather for a community meeting on a regular basis to pray together and support each other in their good works. New members are given formation/training and are mentored and supported by experienced members of the conference.
Vincentians give freely of themselves to grow spiritually through service to others, giving assistance to those in need through personal contact.
In Otago we have the following conferences operating:
- Hills Suburbs Conference incorporating St Joseph’s Cathedral in Central Dunedin, St Francis Xavier in Mornington, and St Mary’s in Kaikorai.
- St Dominic’s incorporating Holy Name in North Dunedin and Sacred Heart in North East Valley.
- Suzanne Aubert Conference incorporating St Patrick’s in South Dunedin and St Bernadette’s in Forbury.
- Otago University Conference.
- St Patrick’s Conference in Oamaru.
In addition, we also have a University conference and have Young Vinnies conferences in most of our Catholic schools.